2012 AKS Research Grant (Visiting)
The Academy of Korean Studies (AKS) invites graduate students majoring in Korean Studies to apply for the new AKS Research Grant program.
1. Eligibility and Requirements
◦ Graduate students who are working on a thesis in the field of Korean studies at an overseas university or who have completed the required coursework (non-Korean citizens)
※ Korean citizens who has completed more than 16 years of education outside of Korea that is compatible with Korea’s elementary, middle, high school and college education can apply.
※ Applicant living in Korea during application period is not eligible to apply.
2. Grant Period
◦ 6 months (Applicant can extend the period of research grant for six months after the result of the Committee of the Graduate School.)
3. Grant Benefits
◦ Monthly Stipend : KRW 900,000
◦ Travel Allowance(Amount of economy class round trip air-fare)
◦ On-campus Accommodation is available at student’s own expenses(Shared room by two students: KRW 463,500/6 months)
◦ Access to AKS facilities including library
◦ Research Grant certificate will be issued to the researchers who have completed the program.
4. How to apply
◦ Application form(Download)
※ Applicant must designate the professor in the Graduate School of Korean Studies(GSKS) as an academic adviser referring to the GSKS website. (http://www.aks.ac.kr/aks/sub/sub_grad_faculty.aspx)
◦Original Certificate of Enrollment or Certificate of Coursework Completion
◦ Original Official Transcripts of Undergraduate and Graduate studies
◦ Study Plan(over A4 or Letter double space 5 pages, written in English or Korean)
◦ Personal Statement(written in English or Korean)
◦ Letter of Recommendation(Advisor or Dean)
◦ Korean(S-TOPIK) and English(TOEFL, IELTS, TEPS) language proficiency test transcript, if available
◦ Birth Certificate(or copy of passport)
5. Deadline & Submission
◦ Deadline : May 31, 2012
◦ On-line submission(email@example.com) preferred, but applications sent by mail before May 31, 2012 will also be accepted.
◦ Notification : Around the middle of June, 2012
◦ Successful candidates must arrive at the AKS by August 15, 2012.
7. Duty of researcher
◦ Researcher must designate the professor in GSKS as an academic adviser and take the independent studies with the professor’s permission or more than one major course that is related to the research thesis.
◦ Researcher must submit the final report and written evaluation of the academic adviser in GSKS before the departure of Korea.
◦ To publish the research papers (in book form), researcher must state the paper as ‘The outcome of the research performed with support of The Academy of Korean Studies’.
◦ Researchers are not allowed to work during the research period.
◦ The departure of Korea is available one week before the end of the program.
◦ As for other items not stipulated, researcher should abide by the rules of the AKS and the result of the Committee of the Graduate School.
◦ Monthly stipend is to be paid at the end of every month. But if the researcher give up and return home early, monthly stipend for the period of leave-of-absence from program will not be provided.
◦ Travel allowance is provided on the month of departure. But 50% of the travel allowance is to be paid to the applicant who gives up the program within 4 months. If applicant who extend the grant period gives up the program within 8 months, the same principle is applied.
◦ Monthly stipend and travel allowance can be confiscated if the Committee of the Graduate School decide to confiscate the support because of the researcher’s violation of obligations or other reasons.
□ Futher Informations
Personnel : Jaeseok, Lee
TEL : +82-31-709-8111(ext. 211) +82-31-708-5310
FAX : +82-31-709-9946
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Website : http://www.aks.ac.kr